Birthing the Peace of Christ: Advent Retreat Series on Gospel Nonviolence: Part 2 (online)
Michelle Sherman and Johnny Zokovitch
December 13, 2022
Session 2: Nonviolence and Scripture
As we continue the journey of birthing the Peace of Christ, we draw from the deep well of Scripture to guide us during this week of Advent. The second session of the Advent retreat series will explore the gospel readings from Matthew for all four Sundays of Advent. Themes will include:
- Staying “awake” as the necessary precondition for practicing nonviolence (Mt 24);
- A “muscular, confrontational” nonviolence as embodied by John the Baptist (Mt 3);
- Nonviolence as the tool for “the works of mercy” (Mt 11); and
- Nonviolence, discomfort/uncertainty and “God with us” (Mt 1).
This session will include time for prayer, reflection and small group sharing.
- December 6: Exploring Nonviolence
- December 13: Nonviolence and Scripture
- December 20: Nonviolence and Contemplative Practice
Each session stands independently, so come to as few or as many sessions as you wish.
This program is underwritten by Pax Christi USA. Cranaleith is excited about and grateful for this partnership.
Michelle Sherman (she/her) is the 50th Anniversary Coordinator for Pax Christi USA. She earned a BA from Saint Mary’s College and an MA in Theology with a certificate in Pastoral Ministry from Villanova University. She completed the Spiritual Direction Formation Program at Cranaleith Spiritual Center in 2019. Her previous professional…
Learn more about Michelle Sherman
Johnny Zokovitch is the Executive Director of Pax Christi USA, the national Catholic peace and justice movement. Previously, Johnny worked in Brussels with Pax Christi International as the Senior Communications Officer. For nearly fifteen years, he lived at and co-directed the Gainesville (FL) Catholic Worker House, an intentional community serving…
Learn more about Johnny Zokovitch